Thursday, December 31, 2009

Flavor of the Month... MACARONS!


It is no secret that I LOVE reading Bridget's blog Bake at 350.
After months of browsing through her Flavor of the month, I've decided to give it my own go.

This month, the flavor was Cookies (which is not truly a flavor, but I can overlook that because cookies are fun to make, and I am sure there will be an assortment of different types to browse).

Anyway, being the strange person I am, I decided to make Macarons. I think they are so beautiful, and so perfect, that to resist the opportunity would be foolish!

There was only one problem. I burnt the first batch! :( So we'll just ignore that, and move on to the successful batch.

So, these wonderful Macarons were flavored Chocolate Mint (For the season). The tops of the Macaons were put into a swirl pattern, which I then started to hate. The conventional flat-topped Macaron looked a lot nicer, and sat better together. Still these were cute too.

The Recipe:

1 1/4 cup icing/powered sugar
4oz almond flour
2 lg egg whites
pinch of salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
(color)

Directions:
1. Trace 1inch circles on parchment, flip over

2. sift almond flour and icing sugar together. In a dry, clean bowl, whip eggs whites with salt until foamy. Increase speed, add sugar, extract and color. Whip to stiff peaks (should be firm and shiny).

3. With a rubber spatula, fold in the icing sugar mix until incorporated. Make sure to touch the mix only as much as needed to mix together. The mix should 'flow like magma' when ready.

4. Fill piping bag, then fill in 1inch traced circles on parchment. Tap baking sheet to remove air bubbles, then let dry at room temperature for 1/2 an hour.

5. Heat oven to 325 and bake for 8-11 min (depending on oven ).

6. Remove Macarons from oven and transfer parchment to cooling rack. When cool, slide Macarons off with pairing knife. Pipe filling (below).

Filling:

These babies can be filled with all sorts of things. I like using Swiss Meringue found on Martha's webpage. Thanks Martha!


Now, go and enjoy!

No comments: