Monday, July 18, 2011

ლ(இ◒இლ) DONUTS!

No really, EVERYBODY LOVES DONUTS! Especially me. Maybe that's why I decided to try my hand at making them. I've honestly been wanting to try it for a while. I am certainly no daring baker, but this would have been my challenge.

Before I go on a rant, and show you how I made my donuts, here's some music to get you into the mood!


And, because my hubbie looked at my pink donuts and wanted me to post the donut, here's another image:
Okay, now we are sufficiently ready to talk about the donuts and the making!
♥ ^_______^ ♥

I've never actually been able to eat donuts. I love them, but cannot digest them well, they cause bad sadness. Still, they are adorable. I think of Donuts as on par with a Macaron in the realm of cuteness! No less, white donuts are amazingly cute with pink icing. I love pink!

Where's my recipe? Super easy!

Everybody loves Donuts!


2 1/2 tsp yeast
2 1/2 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp sugar

3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 cup whole milk (homo milk) warmed (not hot)
1/4 cup butter/margerine
3 large egg yolks (save one egg white for icing)
2 tbsp sugar

About 8 cups vegetable oil for deep frying - you will need to fill a pan 2 inches full from the bottom.

Directions:

1. mix yeast, water and 1 tbsp sugar into a small bowl. Mix a little by swirling, then let yeast froth until doubled.

2. Mix flour, milk, butter, eggs and sugar into a bowl. Beat together and add yeast mix. Mix low until incorporated, then turn up the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, or until mix starts to stick to the sides of the bowl.

3. Scrape the dough into a ball, and place in a clean container. Grease the top with cooking spray and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot for about an hour to an hour and ten.


4. When the dough is ready, take it and put it on a lightly floured surface. Roll out 1 inch thick.

5. Using any size cookie cutter, (round), cut a circle of dough out.

and then using a smaller cutter, or piping tip, cut a smaller circle into the dough.

TA-DA!
Sine you can't re-roll the dough (as it gets tough and chewy), I save the donut holes to eat!

Now, let the dough rest for 15 minutes to rise a little, but mostly to soften it.

6. Warm up the oil SLOWLY on medium-low heat. The best way to test if the oil is ready is to take drop (literally a drop) of water and flick it into the oil (stand back). If the oil begins to pop the water, it's ready! DO NOT BOIL THE OIL. Put your donuts into the oil and fry until golden brown. If you look above, the two bottom donuts are ready to be taken out, and the tops need to be turned. The dough puffs up nicely and becomes really fluffy!

Once the donut is pulled, place on a paper towel to take any excess oil off.

YUMMY!
Now for icing, glaze or topping!

You could simply go for the cinnamon sugar option by rolling the donut in a cinnamon sugar mix, or you can glaze... or ice. Here's what I used:

Donut Icing:

5 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp flavor (I used cotton candy)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 egg white (frothed)
color (optional)

Mix ingredients together until you can see the icing integrate into itself in 3 seconds (without tapping). It should be thin enough to run, but not run all the way off the donut. Load into a piping bag and pipe onto donuts. Add sprinkles if desired. Let dry 1 hour.

Maple Donut Glaze:

5 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup (real is best)
3 tbsp water
1 tsp maple extract
maple syrup flakes (optional)

Mix ingredients until very thin and runny. Dip donuts into glaze, cover all of the donut, then place on a wire rack to drip dry. While still wet, sprinkle maple syrup flakes onto donut for decoration.

SO PRETTY!


Well, hopefully you've all been enjoying some great weather. We're still pushing 100F here, which is killing me! Thank goodness for water and swimming! Hopefully you've all been enjoying good weather and are staying safe. Boiling oil is a little hot for this weather, but that's okay... at least I can eat one donut. My rare treat!

Goes off singing the "Doughnut Song"

post signatureLink

3 comments:

Kenni said...

I have been looking for a simple doughnut recipe! Giving these a try soon.

Unknown said...

CUTE CUTE CUTE....donuts make me happy....as she goes off to sing the donut song. la la la la

btanders said...

Yummy! They look delicious. I saw a different post where they cut a star out for the center. Super fun!